- Reserve a Date
- About Orientation
- Phase One: Pre-NSO Videos
- Phase Two: Orientation
- Phase Three: Saluki Startup
- Families and Guests
- Resource Fair
- Orientation Staff
Contact UsNew Student Orientation
1263 Lincoln Drive, Suite 375
Carbondale, IL 62901
- What to do before Orientation
- Access the online system to reserve a New Student Orientation date.
- After reserving your date, check your email regularly for a confirmation of date, program reminders, and other helpful information.
- Claim your Network ID
- Your Network ID is your university-wide login information, which you will use to register for classes, access your Bursar account, and take care of other items. Your Network ID is “SIU” following by you dawgtag number (siu85xxxxxxx).
- Schedule Your Academic Advisement Appointment
- Contact your academic advisor to schedule an appointment to be advised prior to orientation. Checking this off the list before orientation will free up your day to attend all important presentations.
- Access your Math Placement Test through SalukiNet
- The Math Placement Test is required for most incoming students. To complete the test, you must log on to SalukiNet and search for Math Placement. The Math Placement Test link will take you directly to test website.
- *If you have transferred in credit for the prerequisite to the course you want to take at SIU with a grade of C or better or if you will be entering SIU with a transferable college course equivalent that satisfies the lowest level math requirement for your major, then you may not have to take the math placement exam. You can contact your advisor for further clarification. All incoming students will no transferable math credit must take the placement test.
- Take the Foreign Language Placement Test
- Get credit for what you know and find the right class for you. Note that the foreign language test is not required.
- Complete the Immunization Compliance Form
- All students are required to be in compliance with the immunization requirements. The form must be submitted to avoid any registration holds. It can be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Immunization Compliance office or turned in at their table during the Resource Fair at orientation.
- Complete your Housing Contract
- A Housing Contract is required to reside on campus. The student housing policy can be found here. For questions, contact University Housing at email@example.com or 618/453-2301.
- Review your Financial Aid Package on SalukiNet
- You can access your award package by searching Financial Aid on SalukiNet. Stay on schedule with the Financial Aid Checklist. The Financial Aid Office will be open for walk-ins throughout all orientation programs. They will also provide a mandatory presentation at each program.
- Download the MySIU App
- To navigate orientation from your phone, download the MySIU app. MySIU is your mobile guide to New Student Orientation and all campus events.
- Submit an Official Copy of Your Final Transcripts
- To avoid any registration holds and for your financial aid to be disbursed, an official copy of your final transcript must be submitted once you are done taking classes at your current institution. High school transcripts should be sent to Undergraduate Admissions and college transcripts to Articulation and Evaluation. If you attend an earlier orientation date, you may not be able to take this step just yet.
- Student ID
- Plan to pick up your student ID card at orientation. You may upload a photo 5 business days prior to orientation by following instructions here. Photos can be taken at the ID office during orientation if not uploaded in advance. You must bring an accepted form of ID to pick up your card.
- What to do during Orientation
- Academic Advisement
- Students not advised prior to orientation will meet with an advisor to obtain their class schedule for the fall semester. Note that being advised during orientation will require you to miss out on parts of the program.
- University Housing
- Students who have not yet completed their Housing Contract or need further assistance will have the opportunity to meet with housing representatives at orientation. University Housing provides a presentation, hosts a table at the Resource Fair andwelcomes walk-ins throughout the program.
- Financial Aid and Bursar (payment):
- Receive critical information about paying for college, financial aid, and managing your finances during the mandatory presentation provided by the Financial Aid and Bursar’s Office. The Financial Aid and Bursar’s Offices will be open for walk-ins throughout all orientation programs.
- College Welcome
- Students and families attend a welcome with the student’s specific academic college. Learn about opportunities for involvement and success in the student’s major and career field.
- Campus and Housing Tours
- Tours of campus and different housing locations will be offered at New Student Orientation. If you don’t find time in your schedule to fit in a tour, you can access the virtual campus and housing tours.
- Resource Fair
- Explore some of what SIU has to offer by meeting with university staff and campus departments during the Resource Fair. Note that immunization compliance forms can be turned in at the Student Health Center table during the Resource Fair.
- Student ID
- Photos can be taken at the ID office during orientation if not uploaded in advance. You must bring an accepted form of ID to pick up your card.
- What to do after Orientation
- Complete the New Student Orientation survey found in your email to be entered to win a drawing for SIU swag.
- Sign up for the installment payment plan on SalukiNet.
- The Bursar’s Office offers an installment payment plan for a fee of $30 per semester that divides your bill up into four payments per semester if enrolled by July 30th for the fall semester and December 30th for the spring semester. Enrollment becomes available 15 days prior to the deadline. You must re-enroll in the plan each semester.
- Check your SIU email address
- Your email address will automatically generate 24 hours after your register for classes. It can be accessed by searching Setup Your SIUC Email Address in SalukiNet. Your SIU email address is the primary way SIU will contact you, so check it regularly for important updates.
- Download the MySIU app (or other platform) to access all campus events in one convenient location.
- Check SalukiNet to manage your class schedule, plan your finances, and check the “Must Do” list for important, time-sensitive items.
- Financial Aid
- Review the Financial Aid Checklist and complete any outstanding requirements.
- Register for Dawg Days New Student Retreat.
- Sign up for your free iGrad account to build a solid financial foundation for your future.
- Review University Housing’s packing list and begin packing for your big move to SIU!
- Access Degree Works through SalukiNet by searching Degree Works to monitor your degree progress.
- Check out the Saluki Family website for information on upcoming events and the Family of the Weekend contest held during Family Weekend.
- Changing your Legal or Preferred Name
- Making a change to your legal name must be done through the Registrar’s Office. Students must complete a “Name Change Request Form” and submit official identifying documentations. Acceptable forms of ID and information regarding this process may be found at the Registrar’s Office website.
- A preferred name is a first name (i.e. given name) that you may choose to have used instead of your legal first name in instances where the University does not require the legal first name. You may identify a preferred name by logging into SalukiNet, searching for the “preferred name” task, and completing the process. *Students will not be able to identify a preferred name in SalukiNet until he/she/they are registered for courses.*